Re: Converting From Red Hat to Debian

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 04:58:11PM -0800, Mark Seven Smith wrote:

| ATI Rage 128 video card

[removed all other peripherals too]

| WHY I BELIEVE THE VIDEO CARD IS AT FAULT:
| Basically, Red Hat Linux 6.1 also had this problem--I had
| to get RH7.1 (with the newer XFree86 stuff on it) before I
| could install.  I am using RH7.1 right now.

I agree with you, it sounds like you vid. card is bad.  I've installed
RH6.2 with no problems at all on a machine at work with a Rage 128
card.  The only problem is that I didn't get X4 working (and I know
X3 doesn't support it well), but it is mostly used for testing anyways
so I didn't spend any more time on it.

| It still seems *VERY ODD* that the ATI Rage 128 will not
| work in the lowest of text video compatibility modes.  I
| Suppose this is why the stupid card was foisted on me in
| the first place (I had gone to purchase a different card,
| but was given this one instead, "at a discount", and they
| assured me that it was "fully compatible with Linux"!)  Now
| I read at various places around the web, all the
| difficulties folks have had with the ATI Rage 128 card.

If you use the framebuffer stuff, configuring X is a piece of cake.
For most cards you lose performance, but it works well and gives a
nicer looking console too.

| Also, the ATI Rage 128 card is not listed in the hardware
| compatibility list on the Debian site.

That list may only refer to potato (X3) or it may be outdated, I don't
know.