Re: OT: How long has your Linux system been up ?

"Johnny Ernst Nielsen" <j.e.nielsen@iname.com> writes:

> >As long as your talking about servers this uptime thing is ok, but
> >when talking about workstaions it's redicolous, premature and an
> >unjustifiable waste of natural resources. I sometimes think Linux
> >users just do this to show their Windows using friends how cool they
> >are.
> >
> >I shut down my machines at the end of the day.

<snip>

> Regarding the unjustifiable waste of natural resources, that is only the
> case if the workstation is not set up with some kind of power management.

Especially the monitor. I have my monitors power down not only to save
energy, but also (at least in the case of my home box, which is in my
bedroom) because they generate a substantial amount of heat which, in
turn, makes my A/C run more often and increses my power bill (not to
mention, using more enegery still :-)

> If you care about the environment you are willing to set up proper power
> management.

That, and you are also willing to buy a fuel efficient car... seriously,
I currently own a car that regularly gets 30+ mpg and don't intend to
replace it with anything that gets under 20mpg if I can help it.