Understanding log files

Hi list,

I need to figure out how to more effectively, understand my log files. I mean
this in a general/system wide sense. Now when i come across an entry I don't
understand I toss it a google and figure it out from there, which works
great, however, a little too time consuming.

Can any of you point me to a few links that have helped you?

I realize this is a VERY vague question, and don't really expect an end all
be all answer so to speak, just thought I'd throw this idea into the forum,
as some useful link's/techniques could probably help alot of us.

Thanks for your time,

KM