Re: Running DirectX Games using Linux OS [Offtopic response tounrealistic zealot response]

Geoff Beaumont wrote:

> At 13:13 15/11/2001 +1000, you wrote:
> >By supporting SafeDisk Transgaming is much more likely to get support from
> >games
> >publishers to port using WineX to Linux. And as soon as I can run Evercrack in
> >Linux I can blow Windows off my games machine completely.
>
> To be honest, I don't see the problem with copy protection - you can't make
> a backup,
> but how many people back their games up anyway? I prefer, and mostly use, Free
> software, but regardless if you choose to buy commercial software, then you
> agree to
> the license that comes with it (or return the software). At what point is
> the copy
> protection a problem unless_ you are attempting to break the license agreement?
>
> If no one pirated commercial software, companies wouldn't feel the need for
> copy
> protection.
>
> I'll just go and hide in my bunker now...

  related: I hate the games for which you have to have a CD in computer,
given 100GB disks and max few CD per game I can have quite a few games
on the system and play any of those without DJ-ing. Some (Omikron) being
requireing different CD for startup and different for gameplay!

  also, I have two computers and I would like to try the game on another
one (doesn't have a CD) - copy protection gets in the way.

  So basically I fave to use fakecd (somehow it doesn't work) or get a
crack for the game...

  it's quite amazing that companies can get away with being so
abusive... all for silly copy protection schemes...

	erik