Matrox G-450 Under X Vers. 3.3.6

I'm using potato 2.2r3 (or is that "2.2.18pre21").  Whatever.

I recently switched to a Matrox G-450 AGP card.  (Thanks
to those who helped me "turn off X.")

Question:  can I expect that the X driver module for the
Matrox G-400 will work?  Has anyone tried this?  (The
G-450 isn't offered as a choice in 3.3.6.)

My attempts to get X running so far (XF86Setup) have all
resulted in failure (server can't connect, etc.)  using
the Matrox G-450, with the G-400 selected as the board. I've
tried several different timings and resolutions.  The
monitor should't be an issue; it's a multisync machine
with huge amounts of bandwidth and is generally used
(on other OSs) at 1600 x 1200 @ 76 Hz.

Related question:  Does it make any sense to try grafting
X version 4.1 on top of this "potato" version, or should
I just upgrade to "Woody?"

What is the minimal kernel version to support the newest
version of X?

Hints, suggestions appreciated.  I'd rather not do a major
upgrade of debian quite yet, being rather a newbie.

rafe b.