Re: Best choice for video card

David Teague said:
> Hi
>
> Would some kind soul please tell me which video card to put in my
> new machine (which is still in the planning) that will Debian Woody
> and Gnome X out of the box?

for stability - matrox g400. the machine im on now
has been up for 180days 22hours. running ona  G400.
i upgraded from potato to woody about 45 days ago.
running in 1600x1200x24bit color i think. most
stable sytem running X ive ever used/seen. next
to this was my old sgi indy which was up for ~90
days before the console locked up.

for 3D stuff, i use nvidia. but i also compile my own
kernels. so if your not prepared to do that i dont think
i can reccomend nvidia's recent cards. i also only use
2.2. kernel not 2.4.

my voodoo3 3000/3500 was ROCK solid under xfree3.3.6.
even when playing unreal tournament almost daily.
nvidia is pretty stable too, haven't had any crashes
that resulted from using it. but i do have to restart
X quite a bit depending on if i want to do Xvideo
or OpenGL.(i do a lot of video capture)

on the G400 i restart X once a month to clear up
memory(it gets to about 200MB memory usage,
xfree 3.3.6 choked at around 145MB memory usage)

nate