Re: Wordperfect 8 now is broken for current Debian/Sid

I just saw your email and realized that I had the same problem.  After
some playing with strace, here is a fix that doesn't involve downgrading!
The problem is due to the new version (3.3.6-39) of xlib6.

Step 1: If it isn't already there, add the line

/usr/i486-linuxlibc1/lib

to your /etc/ld.so.conf file, and run ldconfig (as root, of course).
(For some reason, the maintainer of xlib6 decided to move all the library
files from their previous location of /usr/lib/libc5-compat to this new
location.)

Step 2: cd to /usr/i486-linuxlibc1/lib/X11
Step 3: ln -sf ../../../X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults
	ln -sf ../../../X11R6/lib/X11/locale

Now WordPerfect should work again.

I think these symlinks were supposed to exist, but it looks like they're
in the wrong location in /usr/i486-linuxlibc1/include and also pointing to
the wrong place.

Alternatively I guess you could wait for xlib6 3.3.6-40 and maybe it will
be corrected there.

Hope this works for you.
-Kevin McCarty