Re: Vim help file problem

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 02:00:57PM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:

| Debian 2.3 (woody)
| vim 6.0.011-3
| vim-rt none available for vim 6.0
|
|   When in vim ':help' gives the following errors:
|
| Error detected while processing function GZIP_read:
| line    3:
| E21: Cannot make changes, 'modifiable' is off
| E434: Can't find tag pattern
|
| I have commented out the first 10 lines of .vimrc and the error
| does not change ( whats the 'line    3:' error ?).
|
| Moving my .vimrc to 1-.vimrc and restarting vim fixes the problem
| ie. :help or F1 works.  This is the first time I have ever had to
| change the config file on an upgrade AFAIR.

The 5.x packages had some autocommands in /etc/vimrc (that you may
have copied to ~/.vimrc) to uncompress and edit, then recompress a .gz
file (also .bz2).  In vim6, however, this stuff is built in and the
help buffer is set to be not modifiable.  It is this last piece that
makes the autocommands fail.  Simply remove the autocommands as they
are no longer needed.

-D