Coldsync using usbserial module

I'ver been trying to run HotSync on my new Sony Clie PEG-S320.

When I try to run coldsync -p /dev/ttyUSB1 it after hitting the hotsync button, I get the message "Please press the HotSync button." which just remains. Eventually the Clie times out.

My .coldsyncrc file is as follows:
listen serial {
    device: /dev/ttyUSB1;
}

I have tried using "listen usb_m50x" instead of serial as described at http://kreucher.user.msu.edu/clie/ however, I get the error:
Error:  Unrecognized listen type "usb_m50x".

It is being detected by the kernel as is shown by dmesg (I just upgraded to 2.4.12).

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 36
usbserial.c: Sony Clie 4.0 converter detected
visor.c: Sony Clie 4.0: Number of ports: 2
visor.c: Sony Clie 4.0: port 1, is for Generic use and is bound to ttyUSB0
visor.c: Sony Clie 4.0: port 2, is for HotSync use and is bound to ttyUSB1
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1304
usbserial.c: Sony Clie 4.0 converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs) usbserial.c: Sony Clie 4.0 converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)

The respective lsmod modules are also loaded (general usb support is compiled into the kernel):
visor                   9568   0
usbserial              16416   0  [visor]
usb-uhci               20932   0  (unused)

I'm running woody/testing. I've also downloaded and compiled teh latest coldsync to see if there was anything missing, but I've received the same errors. modconf is also just sending me back to the prompt, which is another problem, but I don't think I need it since the modules seem to be loading properly.

If anyone has any ideas that would help, it would be appreciated. I'm not sure if this is the best forum, but I was unable to find an specific linux/pda discussions, and there isn't much out there for detailed troubleshooting.

--
Marc