Re: Creating mp3's or vobis's from non CD sources?

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 01:19:40PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:

> Next, I would like to read in non CD sources, tapes, LP's et all. I
> recognize I will hev to enter all teh artist/Album/Track data by hand (big
> task), and I'm willing to invest the time to do this. So, how do I go about
> doing this?

It's simple: you have to connect the output of your tape/LP player to
the Line In of your soundcard, push the play button on the player and
record the music using some Linux software.

For recording, I'd recommend `brec' (package: bplay), `arecord'
(package: alsa-utils) or `wavr' (package: wavtools).

You may want to edit the created audio file before compressing to
split it into tracks or to apply some filters that make it sound
better. <http://www.fomalhaut.de/myfiles/wavsplit-0.1.1.tar.gz> is a
perfect and fast tool for splitting and you can use any of the
professional audio editors for more difficult audio effects.

To make it all easy, you can try `gramofile' (the package's name is
the same) which combines all the functions mentioned above (including
audio filters) and is able to guess the start and end point of the
tracks, thus automatically split the recorded file to tracks.

Regards,

--
BALI, Andra's                                  GPG keyID: 78560E1C
drewie@bigfoot.com     bali@debian.org     andras.bali@stud.bke.hu