Re: AC97 Sound Problems

On Sun, 2001-11-11 at 11:36, JakeCatfox@aol.com wrote:
> Hi, I just compiled a new kernel for the AC97 sound support on my
> Motherboard, the Aopen MK33. However, /dev/dsp still won't work! Does anyone
> have any ideas for what may be wrong?

Ok.  Try running mpg123 as root, if you have sound then you need to add
your username into the audio group with:

addgroup your_login audio

Logout and relogin to enjoy your sound.  If you can't get sound as root
then you will need to investigate further:

Is the module(s) loaded (/proc/modules output may be helpfull to
debug)?  Does /proc/devices show this line:

14 sound

Does dmesg have anything usefull to say about sound?

If you can modprobe and get sound working and want to always autoload
you can add:

alias char-major-14 ac97_or_whatever_it's_called

into /etc/modutils/local.  Or just add the module name into
/etc/modules.

--mike