Re: Frustration (cablemodem woes)

I just have "iface eth0 inet dhcp" in my interfaces file. pump takes care of the renewals.

Michael Patterson wrote:

Ok, I'm totally frustrated. To bring anyone who doesn't know up to date:

My previous service was "wantweb". I was given a static IP address, upon
which I set up a debian (potato) box. I used IP masquerading to connect all
my windows boxes to it (for game playing, you know).

Now I find that the company is going under. enter the cablemodem. I have
cablemodem service with Adelphia cable. ( @home). it works beautifully when
I hook up a single windows machine to it, using DHCP.

When I hook up my linux box to it, I get terrible performance, and
eventually my connection to the cablemodem fails. I can get the connection
back by powercycling the cablemodem. I'm using dhcp-client.

DHCP appears to be working find after changing my /etc/networks/interface
to:

iface eth0 inet dhcp
	hostname "****"
	leasehours 1
	leasetime 3600

ifconfig verifies that I have an IP address, etc. (and, as I said earlier,
the connection works fine, but with poor performance, and eventually
dropping.) When the connection stops working, ifconfig reports the same IP,
etc, but starts reporting drops.

switchig to a static address, using what DHCP gave me still gives the same
results.

I'm finding this EXTREMELY difficult to debug, since it isn't an out-and-out
failure. The cablemodem howto isn't much help, either. Any help would be
appreciated.

--Mike