Re: Unable to umount filesystem whe shutting down

Vittorio wrote:

This is the first time it happens to me!

Under woody I've compiled my own, very light kernel 2.4.13-1 (Bunk's
stuff) for my hardware eliminating many options I don't need.

Now, it all works ok (in syslog there isn't anything strange or
missing dependency warning) but when I shutdown woody hangs endlessly
to "unmounting filesystems........" and I'm compelled to switch off
the PC. This causes a complete and annoying check of the partition
when booting again.

Why is that and what should I check?

Please help
Vittorio

Check to see if mount works, I had the same problem when i upgraded from 2.2.X to 2.4.X. It when away when I built 2.4.10 by hand. In short, I think you made a mistake in your kernel build and it should work if you rebuild.

FYI Woody unmounts remote filesystems before local

PEACE

--
All the parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason.
By all means, do not use a hammer.