A RH package won't work on Debian

Here's a weird one, and I don't know that anyone can help but I can't
think of anything else to try.

So, I'm beta testing a new commercial VPN client for Linux.  The
official supported platforms are Red Hat (of course), plus Caldera and
Turbo Linux IIRC.  Others on the beta list have reported good success
with SuSe and Mandrake as well.

I'm the only one who can't get it working.  It completely, utterly does
not work on my Debian box.  Any of the three of them (2 desktops and a
laptop).

All my boxes are running Woody of some moderately recent vintage.

I borrowed a laptop with vanilla RH 6.2, and brought it home, and it
works fine.  Also if I boot my system into Windows and use the Windows
version of the VPN client, that works fine.  I can even open up a
Windows session in VMWare on my Linux system and use the Windows client
through that, and _that_ works!

I've tried installing Red Hat kernels (the client has two kernel modules
and two user-space daemons) on Debian. I've tried getting older versions
of LIBC and setting LD_PRELOAD etc. to cause the VPN user-space apps to
use them.  No change in behavior.

The thing _almost_ works: it connects to the VPN server, it installs
local static routes (for split tunneling), I can even resolve DNS
lookups from within the remote private LAN!

But, any attempt to actually connect, using any protocol I've tried,
simply hangs for a long time then times out.  Remember it works under
Windows in the exact same setup so it can't be a problem with my cable
modem or ISP or anything like that, or even firewalling (besides, to be
sure I completely disabled all my firewalls but it still failed).

I'm thoroughly baffled.  I just can't figure out what this thing might
be looking for or expecting on the Red Hat system that it doesn't find
or doesn't work the same way on Debian!  The support folks are similarly
baffled.

I know it's an almost impossible long shot, but maybe someone here can
give me some ideas of what to try or where to look?

 Paul D. Smith <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools