dpkg problem

I have a package that won't completely install or de-install. I think I
know how it happened and have that problem fixed, but can't do anything
with the package. I have tried to reinstall this package with all kinds
of options
and using dselect, dpkg and apt-get. When I use apt-get I get the
following:
/var/lib/dpkg/info/locales.config: tr: command not found
/var/lib/dpkg/info/locales.postinst: tr: command not found
dpkg: error processing locales (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
 locales

Is there a way to get this package to either completely install or
uninstall? I know that this package ties in with others, so of course i am
concerned to fix it.