ctrl key functionality gone missing

I've noticed a fair bit of traffic on this general topic, so hopefully the answer to this springs right to mind..

I've a debian potato install that was recently upgraded to use the 2.4.x kernel line. I essentially upgraded
Debian itself and my Ximian desktop at the same time, using the "bunk" packages and
whatever Ximian's current gnome is. Since doing this I can no longer use the <CTRL> key in all X applications.

I originally believed that it wouldn't work in any X application but realized
after examining xmodmap, and testing (by running "xev") that it was a selected few applications that didn't work.

Where can I begin, to correct this anomaly?

Regards,
Marc.