Re: Netscape in different desks with fvwm2

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 11:18:35AM -0700, Mike Fontenot wrote:

> I know how to automatically start Netscape in a
> different desktop (using fvwm2),
> but I would also like to be
> able to automatically also start the "Messenger"
> window in a third desktop.
>
> I.e., I'd like the initial Netscape window (Navigator,
> in my case) to be started in Desk 1, and the Messenger
> window of that SAME Netscape process to be started
> in desk 2.
>
> Anyone know if that's possible?  I suppose it would
> require some kind of specification to netscape itself.
>
> I know that I can start
> two instances of the Netscape process, one starting
> with the Navigator window, and one starting with
> the Messenger window.  But I don't think that's
> what I want...

just an idea: there's a not too well advertised "-remote" option
to Netscape that can be used to issue commands to be executed in an
*already running* instance of Netscape. So, I assume something like

  netscape -remote 'openInbox()'

should have the desired effect, presuming you know how to have fvwm2
open the resulting new window on a different desktop (which you seem to
have figured out already :)

BTW, similarly, commands like

  netscape -remote 'openURL(http://www.debian.org)'

considerably speed up startup times when trying to open HTML documents
from the commandline, as this avoids launching another instance of
Netscape.

For details see

http://home.netscape.com/newsref/std/x-remote.html

and have a look at Netscape's X-resources file Netscape.ad for further
ideas on what you might want to control remotely -- just in case you
start liking that feature :)

Cheers

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing ag

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --