Newbie comments & queries

Hi, Brenda, et al

Did not have time yesterday to check out all the suggestions offered  but
will do so this weekend.

> > > The lpr switch -i appears to do nothing for the margin. Thus,
>
> The bad news is, according to the lpr man page, "this option
> is not supported on all printers".

I never saw that, still I take the point about how to print and will
simply use the method that works. (I did try 2 printers, and the
Panasonic is listed somewhere as 100% working under linux.)

I thought that I had fixed up color on the ls command but it seems not.
I am logged in as user not root

The mini Colour-ls HOWTO said to add certain lines into .bashrc - well
they were already there so I uncommented them.  Still no go.  I noted
that the first lines of .bashrc were like

/.bashrc executed by bash(1) for non-login shells

Well, I have a login shell, right? And the color was not coming up, and
neither were the uncommented alias definitions in the .bashrc file
either.

Further examination brought me to .bashrc_profile , the first lines of
which said that it was for log-in shells.  I also noted that it had a
line

Include .bashrc

which I assume will process .bashrc. If I uncomment this file will that
be fine? I suppose I should have saved it as .old and then gone ahead and
tried anyway.

Also, question of terminology.  Do I have a terminal?  I have a monitor
attached to my PC.  Is this a vt100 terminal in unix-speak?

With regard to seeing more of top, I suppose that i could see if the
monitor would show more lines, will investigate that.

Douglas Tophams book is showing signs of age, but has been some help.
The simple script file examples, one concerned with taking input at the
command line via read (a directory name) failed to work despite having
been written correctly and rendered executeable.  I will check it out
again however.  There are quite a lot of commands that have obviously
been upgraded or done away with over the years. Calendar is nice, have
made up a file with all birthdays and local holidays in it.  Must run it
daily via cron perhaps.

Enjoy the weekend & thanks
Ian

    Ian Balchin