Re: Newbie comments & queries

Ian Balchin(fables@imaginet.co.za) is reported to have said:
> Despite the fact that at install time I gave the command line parameters
> for lp (lp port=0x378, irq=7) and this was accepted as 'installation
> successful', I see at boot time references to 'polling'
>
> I had tried to add this line
>
> lp=0x278,5378,7	(note second port, have now  stuck in LPT2 card)
>
> but when I run lilo after editing this in it comes up with 'syntax error'
> for this line (this as suggested in BootPrompt-HOWTO)
>
> Am I worrying about something that I need not?  In fact LPT2 was
> primarily  intended for a dos programme (printer normally loaded with
> invoice paper) but thought OK add it in to Linux.  Don't know what
> polling is.

In linux, or winbloz (dos), the printer does not need to use an IRQ.
When you don't assign one to the printer is shows that by this type of
message  lp0: using parport0 (polling).

As I need all the IRQ's I can get, I use polling by using the
following in lilo.conf;
append  = "lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none"
                                     ^^^  No IRQ

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

Wayne
--
Scheduled Release Date: A carefully calculated date determined by
estimating the actual shipping date and subtracting six months from it.