[OT] A simple network question - login hangs

I'm sure my answer is in one of the HOW-TO's, but I bet it is one of those
30s fixes when you know what you're doing, so I'll go straight to the
people who know what there doing. I apologize in advance for taking up
bandwidth.

I have two linux boxes that used to be sitting in my office at school.
When I graduated, I took them with me and now they're home. I had managed
to get them hooked up to the school network without any major difficulty.
Once I got them home, I figured that all I had to do to network them was
to hook them to either end of a network cable. I used the BNC connector
and both ends have a 'T' and a terminator. I didn't change any of the
network settings, including the IPs. Since the network isn't connected to
the outside world, I figured that shouldn't be a problem.

Now I can ping either computer from the other one, and all appears well.
When I try to telnet of ftp between them, however, I get the login prompt,
and then the connection just hangs. Any ideas?
Peter