Re: My printer won't print.

Stephen W. Juranich wrote:

>For whatever reason, my printer died.  I replaced lpd with lprng.  After
>fiddling around with magicfilter and magicfilterconfig --force several times
>and a couple of reboots, the best I can manage is a single piece of paper
>saying:
>
>Unknown device: hpdj
>
>Any suggestions on how to diagnose/solve this problem?

That was also one problem when I tried converting from bsd's lpr to
lprng. Anyway, the first thing I did was I purged lpr and magicfilter
then reinstalled them again. then again, you might get away with
just modifying /etc/printcap. Then selected the appropriate filter
for my printer (mine was an HP Deskjet 670C - I set the filter to
the economy-mode printer filter dj690c-low as indicated in the
options in magicfilterconfig).

i assume you know the naming conventions if you're using parallel
port printers in the 2.2 or 2.4 kernel. what once was the /dev/lp1
device then is now the /dev/lp0 device in 2.4.

Paolo Alexis Falcone

www.edsamail.com