Re: Preparations for installing a Farm

* Paul Sargent <Paul.Sargent@3dlabs.com> [2001.11.08 12:12:03+0000]:
> 1) I'm booting the machine off the current woody rescue/root images
>    (ReiserFS ones). Everything works great until it tries to install the
>    base distribution. Because my mirror is of Woody and Sid, the
>    installation fails because there are still several packages linked over
>    to Potato. One of these is "at", which is part of the base distribution.
>    My mirror is already 8G and I really don't want to add another 5 to that
>    to mirror Potato as well. Does anybody have any idea how to get around
>    this?

just add the UK mirror next to yours. then the internet will only be
used for the potato files. or use a potato CDROM in apt's sources.list
for potato only.

>    The problem is that when I use "dpkg --set-selections < [file]" it
>    appears to add the extra packages I've chosen, but not remove packages
>    I've gotten rid of of the first machine. Does anybody know of a method to
>    get a package selection list from machine A to machine B, so machine B
>    ends up with exactly the same packages installed regardless of what was
>    there before?

do you purge or delete packages?

> Also, any other pointers that people may have if you've ever attempted this
> before. Thanks

do you have identical hdd's (size) and mostly identical hardware
configurations? then imaging would be the best...

XP is NT with eXtra Problems.