Re: Big time problem after disk crash

on Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 03:23:22PM -0800, calyth-shaw (calyth@shaw.ca) wrote:

> I was rebooting the system when it froze, right after sending the "wall"
> message to all users that it's going to reboot. It resulted in an
> unflushed disk cache reboot, and I know it was going to be massive.

> Now I'm left with at least a problem in which X wouldn't start for my
> regular user, yet it starts for the root user. I've tried to
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common, and specify that anyone could start X
> server, yet it still wouldn't start. I was using Gnome/Enlightenment.
>
> Can somone tell me what could be wrong so that I don't have to do a
> fresh install?

Boot single after a hard crash and fsck system disks.  Use the -f option
to force checks even if the fs checks as clean.  You might also want to
take the additional steps of adding a journaled filesystem (reiserfs or
ext3fs) to your system.  I've added reiserfs to laptops I run, am trying
to get ext3fs configured.

Sounds though that your remaining problems are likely unrelated.

The X problem sounds supiciously similar to several problems noted here.
There's a quoting problem in one of the startup files, possibly
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86common_start, though I haven't been
following the discussion properly.  Remove the double quotes if they
exist.

You might also check the contents of /etc/X11/Xserver.

As always, watching program startup and error output is helpful.

Fresh installs are rarely needed.  Checking your package status should
be sufficient.

I was having a debate with a friend regarding rpm/dpkg features.  I'm
wondering what the equivalent to an RPM verify is -- would that be
debsums?  What are we looking for in the output?

Peace.