Big time problem after disk crash

I was rebooting the system when it froze, right after sending the "wall"
message to all users that it's going to reboot. It resulted in an
unflushed disk cache reboot, and I know it was going to be massive. Now
I'm left with at least a problem in which X wouldn't start for my
regular user, yet it starts for the root user. I've tried to
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common, and specify that anyone could start X
server, yet it still wouldn't start. I was using Gnome/Enlightenment.
Can somone tell me what could be wrong so that I don't have to do a
fresh install?

Calyth