XTerm not showing input

Hi:

 I recently installed the latest woody on my machine (133MHz Pentium,
 Imagine Number Nine I-128 card). I had an .xinitrc which was working
 fine before the new installation. Now, for some reason the XFree86
 server does not work ( it complains about something in the I-128.o
 driver) and I have to run it with the SVGA server. WIth my original
 .xinitrc the cursor does not show up in the X terminal,  and when I
 bring up Netscape, when I type in a URL it does not show up.  WHen I
 took away my .xinitrc, the cursor shows up in the XTerm as a light
 gray box, and the typed in letters  are also light gray. However,
 neither Netscape nor xfig accept input ( i.e., they don't show up
 on the screen). As far as I can see this must be some color problem,
 the input presumably being on the same solor as the background (white
 in this case) and therefore not showing up. Since X is running
 entirely with its own default settings, I am surprised at this
 behavior. In any case, I looked at the files in the app-defaults
 directory, and there don't appear anything that may be the cause of
 the problem.

 Any help would be appreciated.

 Thanks.
--