new to the list - XFree86 on Woody problems

Hi

I'm new to the list and am having problems with the XFree86 set up in Woody. I recently upgraded from Potato to Woody and have also grabbed the KDE2.2 packages from Sid but I'm having trouble getting the x-server up and running.

I have been configuring via dpkg-reconfigure x-server-xfree86 this seems to want to put my mouse as /dev/input/mice which is not appropriate for my standard PS/2 microsoft wheelmouse.

I edited XF86Config-4 by hand and the mouse section now reads:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Mouse0"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"Device"	"/dev/psaux"
	Option		"Protocol"	"PS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
EndSection

then further down in serverlayout

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		"Default Screen"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice 	"Mouse0" "CorePointer"
End Section

If I try to startx it begins to load KDE but halts at the point where it is starting peripherals and in /var/log/XFree86.0.log I have this as the final few lines:

PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file Roman_M
(II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy driver
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
(==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3
(**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: Mouse)

Fatal Server Error:
Caught Signal 11. Server aborting

any idea what might be causing this?

Rachel