Re: installing woody -- base*.tgz?

On 6 Nov 2001, at 4:03, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 03:03:28AM +0100,
> schnobs@babylon-kino.de wrote: > I'm trying to get woody
> without installing potato first. > What files do I need in
> addition to the floppies? > Esp, I can't find any base*.tgz
> in the woody tree. > Am I blind, or is it no longer needed?
>
> base*.tgz is no longer needed. The boot-floppies build the
> base system using a program called debootstrap instead.

Ah yes. And from what?

Sorry, maybe I don't see the obvious -- but even in that
case, please give me a hint. Here's what I did so far, if
nothing else, at least it may make you smile...

The setup requires me to provide some source in order to
install the base system, so the content of the floppies
obviously won't suffice.
My current approach to provide the files was to "mirror"
them on a local machine and export them via nfs. Everytime
the installation routine complained about a file it needed,
I went to get it.
/dists/woody/Release,
/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Packages
Now, the installation routine tells me that it is "Calling
debootstrap", together with a progress bar wich fills
within a fraction of a second. Then nothing happens for
about half a minute, eventually it aborts with "couldn't
download adduser".
I then started looking for where "adduser" might come from,
and that's how I eventually came to miss the base*.tgz
file. Now I'm told it is no longer needed -- but if I read
the signs right, I still need the files it contained, even
if they're no longer rolled up into a single tgz.

I chose this approach because I thought it might actually
work faster than installing potato from CD first and then
upgrading to woody. <wrinkled smile>
Well, that's still an option... but even if I give up now,
I'd like to know what I did wrong.

cu,
Schnobs