Re: Which kernel is recommended to run in debian testing?

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 01:59:37AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 08:44:47PM +1100, Steve Kieu (haiquy@yahoo.com) wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Yes I put this question as I saw a lot kernel image
> > :-)
>
> It depends.
>
> For a stable firewall/gateway system, I'd probably go with a 2.0 or 2.2
> kernel.  Yes, the firewalling code in 2.4 is a lot more convenient, but
> the kernels have been...rocky.  2.0.40 is out, IIRC, and after about
> 2.0.20-something, that's virtually all bugfixes.  So the code should be
> solid.

I have been running 2.4 for some six months now, mostly for iptables.

> For any kernel series, you want to be on the later builds -- there are
> more fixes out, and often some really bad bugs fixed.  There was a bad
> stretch in 2.2 from about 2.2.8 - 2.2.14, and even the more recent
> kernels have had some exploits.  Similarly, 2.4.10+ are the only kernels
> in the 2.4.x series without major uglies yet -- reiserfs was badly
> broken, and there've been some ongoing VM issues.  Some people still
> aren't satisfied with the demonstrated quality of the 2.4 series yet.

A few days ago I first met with VM trouble: the dillo browser (alpha version)
ate memory quite rapidly. The first time I was able to shutdown the system,
but when I tried to reproduce it the swapping went on for hours. I was able
to issue a shutdown, but the shutdown process never got past the first two
lines so did a reset.

At work I have 2.2.18pre21 and it has survived heavy swapping (many hours)
several times. Uptime is now

12:07pm  up 269 days, 22:36,  2 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.08, 0.01