Re: Which kernel is recommended to run in debian testing?

on Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 08:44:47PM +1100, Steve Kieu (haiquy@yahoo.com) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Yes I put this question as I saw a lot kernel image
> :-)

It depends.

For a stable firewall/gateway system, I'd probably go with a 2.0 or 2.2
kernel.  Yes, the firewalling code in 2.4 is a lot more convenient, but
the kernels have been...rocky.  2.0.40 is out, IIRC, and after about
2.0.20-something, that's virtually all bugfixes.  So the code should be
solid.

For a desktop system, 2.4 buys you integrated reiserfs support (it's
there in 2.2, but you have to patch), and additional device support
(USB, Firewire, some other stuff), and better SMP support.

For any kernel series, you want to be on the later builds -- there are
more fixes out, and often some really bad bugs fixed.  There was a bad
stretch in 2.2 from about 2.2.8 - 2.2.14, and even the more recent
kernels have had some exploits.  Similarly, 2.4.10+ are the only kernels
in the 2.4.x series without major uglies yet -- reiserfs was badly
broken, and there've been some ongoing VM issues.  Some people still
aren't satisfied with the demonstrated quality of the 2.4 series yet.

I'm running 2.2.17 and 2.2.19 on my own boxes, am just setting up a
2.4.10 system for a friend.  Yes, I should update my own kernels.

Peace.