Re: ISA AWE64 not detected

Hrm, I used to have one of  those and got it working using pretty much
the method you described. (I know that doesn't help much, but may be of
some  psychological value..)  Maybe if  you  look in  /proc there  is
something to  do with  the isa bus  (find /proc -name  \*isa\* -print)
which can tell you if the card  is detected by the kernel? For pci
cards  I usually  do `cat  /proc/pci`.  I  don't know  if  isa behaves
similarly, but it  might. Below is something I found  on my box called
/etc/isapnp.conf.sbawe64, which presumably is the configuration I used
when I  had that card.  Note that, if  you're interested in  doing any
kind of full-duplex work (i.e. multitrack sound recording), you really
should  upgrade   to  a  PCI  card  with   proper  16-bit  full-duplex
capability. The SoundBlaster PCI128 works fine for me.

-chris

# $Id: pnpdump.c,v 1.21 1999/12/09 22:28:33 fox Exp $
# Release isapnptools-1.21 (library isapnptools-1.21)
#
# This is free software, see the sources for details.
# This software has NO WARRANTY, use at your OWN RISK
#
# For details of the output file format, see isapnp.conf(5)
#
# For latest information and FAQ on isapnp and pnpdump see:
# http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/
#
# Compiler flags:  -DREALTIME -DNEEDSETSCHEDULER -DABORT_ONRESERR
# (for   library:  -DREALTIME -DNEEDSETSCHEDULER -DABORT_ONRESERR)
#
# Trying port address 0273
# Board 1 has serial identifier 33 1d 70 9f b0 c5 00 8c 0e
# Board 2 has serial identifier 1d da 06 0a 57 95 50 6d 50

# (DEBUG)
(READPORT 0x0273)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(VERBOSITY 2)
(CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING

# Card 1: (serial identifier 33 1d 70 9f b0 c5 00 8c 0e)
# Vendor Id CTL00c5, Serial Number 493920176, checksum 0x33.
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 1.0
# ANSI string -->Creative SB AWE64 PnP<--
# Vendor defined tag:  73 02 45 01
#
# Logical device id CTL0045
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x38
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3a
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3c
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3d
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3e
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3f
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CTL00c5/493920176 (LD 0
#     ANSI string -->Audio<--

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       IRQ 5.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
 (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 1.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
 (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
#       Next DMA channel 5.
#             16 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may not execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
 (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0220
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0220
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 16
 (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0330
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0330
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
## (IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0330))
 (IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x031F))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0388
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0388
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
 (IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9 or 10.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))
#       Next DMA channel 5, 6 or 7.
#             16 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is a bus master
#             DMA may not execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0220
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0280
#             IO base alignment 32 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 16
# (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0300
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0330
#             IO base alignment 48 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0300))
[...]

#       Start dependent functions: priority functional
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9 or 10.
[...]
#             IO base alignment 16 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0300))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0388
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0394
#             IO base alignment 4 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
# (IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))

#     End dependent functions
 (NAME "CTL00c5/493920176[0]{Audio               }")
 (ACT Y)
))
#
# Logical device id CTL7002
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x39
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3a
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3c
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3d
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3e
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3f
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CTL00c5/493920176 (LD 1
#     Compatible device id PNPb02f
#     ANSI string -->Game<--

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0200
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0200
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x0200))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0200
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0208
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x0200))

#     End dependent functions
 (NAME "CTL00c5/493920176[1]{Game                }")
# (ACT Y)
))
#
# Logical device id CTL0022
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x38
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3a
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3c
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3d
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3e
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3f
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CTL00c5/493920176 (LD 2
#     ANSI string -->WaveTable<--

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0620
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0620
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
  (IO 0 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0620))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0620
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0680
#             IO base alignment 32 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
#  (IO 0 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0620))

## These two added secundum linux/Documentation/sound/AWE32
(IO 1 (BASE 0x0A20))
(IO 2 (BASE 0x0E20))

#     End dependent functions
#     Vendor defined tag:  75 01 38 e2 f6 e0
 (NAME "CTL00c5/493920176[2]{WaveTable           }")
(ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

# Card 2: (serial identifier 1d da 06 0a 57 95 50 6d 50)
# Vendor Id TCM5095, Serial Number 3657828951, checksum 0x1D.
#     Version 1.0, Vendor version 1.0
#     ANSI string -->3Com 3C509B EtherLink III<--
#
# Logical device id TCM5095
#     Device supports I/O range check register
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x38
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3a
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3c
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3d
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3e
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3f
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

#(CONFIGURE TCM5095/3657828951 (LD 0
#     Compatible device id PNP80f7
#     IRQ 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12 or 15.
#         High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 9 (MODE +E)))
#     Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#         Minimum IO base address 0x0210
#         Maximum IO base address 0x03e0
#         IO base alignment 16 bytes
#         Number of IO addresses required: 16
# (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0210) (CHECK))
# (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0210) )
# (NAME "TCM5095/3657828951[0]{3Com 3C509B EtherLink III}")
# (ACT Y)
#))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

# Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
(WAITFORKEY)