Re: D-Link DFE-530TX: the -REAL- driver

rafeb@channel1.com (Raphael Bustin) writes:

> I found a very interesting page on D-Link's website:
>
> <http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=487>
>
> wherein a clue may perhaps be found.
>
> It seems that Revisions A, B and C of this board
> (the DFE-530TX+) do indeed use rtl8139.o from the
> standard distribution.
>
> However:  For Rev. D1 and D2 of this card, the web page
> says, quite specifically and in no uncertain terms:
>
>    "DFE-530TX+ revision D1 and D2 must
>    have the driver compiled from the floppy."
>
> Indeed.
>
> This evening I gave up on this debian installation and
> decided to rebuild it from scratch.  Interestingly
> enough, the rtl18139 driver fails to install even during
> the initial OS setup.
>
> This would explain a lot.  It seems I either need to
> get a less-exotic NIC, or deal with building this
> module from source.

There is nothing exotic about these cards. The DFE-530TX uses the
via-rhine driver. The DFE-530TX+ uses the RealTek RTL8139 chip.
Early DFE-530TX+ cards have a generic RealTek ID, later cards have
a DLink ID. If you have one of the later + cards, it may need a
driver which recognizes the later ID.

Paul

--
*  For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*  that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *