Re: Open Source ???

At 11:54 PM 11/4/01 -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Raphael Bustin wrote:

> > Nor is there such a .deb file on my debian distribution CD. So which
> > .deb file do I need to get this steenking header file?
> >
> > Is there some clue in the naming of this distro ("2.2.18pre21") that
> > would lead me to the answer?
> >
> > Clearly I haven't learned to think in Linux terms yet...
> >
> Hello,
>
> You guessed correctly!  You should upgrade to kernel-image-2.2.19 and
> get kernel-headers-2.2.19.  2.2.18pre21 is phased out.

Whew.  Hard to keep up.  You know -- I didn't personally
"select" 2.2.18pre21 -- it was on a CD that came with
"Debian GNU/Linux Bible".

Why would the author of this book choose to distribute
a short-lived version of Debian?

And, isn't it required that *all* the sources (including
headers) be archived, for all releases?  In effect, I'm
being forced to upgrade a working installation for lack of
source files.  A wee bit annoying.

This might all be a bit simpler if I had a working
network connection (on the Debian box,) but you see...
that's in fact what I'm struggling to achieve.

rafe b.