Open Source ???

Now I'm confused.  Well, OK, I was born that way.

New Debian installation.  Need to compile some
source code, build an object.  Have makefile
and a .C file, provided by NIC card vendor.

Run make.  Make complains that "modversions.h" is
not found.  It seems to be a deeply nested
dependency.

I'm guessing that this file lives in one of the
"kernel-headers" .deb files.

But hey, what's this ---

At debian.org, there is no .deb for the i386
build for kernel-headers-2.2.18pre21.  Oddly enough,
there is such a file for sparc.

Nor is there such a .deb file on my debian
distribution CD.  So which .deb file do I need
to get this steenking header file?

Is there some clue in the naming of this
distro ("2.2.18pre21") that would lead me to
the answer?

Clearly I haven't learned to think in Linux
terms yet...

rafe b.