Re: Getting Linux

on Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 06:46:01AM +0800, csj (csj@mindgate.net) wrote:
> On Sunday 04 November 2001 04:51, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
> > On 3 Nov 2001 lloyder@canada.com wrote:
> > > What makes going to http://cdimage.debian.org/ "the preferred
> > > method", and http://www.linuxiso.org/ "the the cheap copout".
> >
> > Debian does it the way they do to try and preserve space and
> > bandwidth on mirrors.
> >
> > > I got disk 1 using cdimage.debian.org and disk 2 using
> > > linuxiso.org, and bottom line, ISO was much faster and much easier.
> >
> > I've had mixed results.
> >
> > > I would really like to see the net install option as csj and others
> > > have suggested... it seems that the infrasture is already there in
> > > the installer...  I'm not ready to take part ;-)
> >
> > Debian is far easier to install via a network.  I would really like
> > to see a business-card CD for Debian installs...could keep that puppy
> > in my wallet and install Debian anywhere.
>
> I have seen the names of the guys from lnx-bbc.org pop up on this list
> from time to time. Maybe they can help. I do see a debian install
> option on the their bootable business card. But I can't type apt-get /
> dpkg / deselect at the console prompt. I guess you have to install the
> package system first. What would be nice is to have a true-blue Debian
> version with the package system(s) already in place.

LNX-BBC includes _two_ debian installers (the second doesn't work as
well, or so I'm told).   There's minimal data on the disk -- you're
getting everything over the 'Net -- but you should be able to do an
install.  I haven't tried this yet, but prolly will.

The LNX-BBC is a life (spelled A-S-S) saver anyway, don't leave home
without it.

Peace.