Re: Linux RAM drive support/performance

> > If that's not the problem and you just really have an incredibly
> > disk-intensive application, you might consider a solid state disk if
it's
> > really that important. You can buy them with IDE or SCSI
> > interface, so they
> > look and act like regular hard drives.
>
> This is a very good idea except for cost.  Have you seen the price of
solid
> state disks?  The cheapest ones I've seen are over $50K.  Do you know of
any
> cheaper ones?  The new motherboards will probably be able to support more
> than 4GB leaving room for a cheap virtual solid state drive...

I saw them for $2K for 2 GB which is 3-4x the cost of the memory. I'm not
sure how the performance would compare versus the virtual approach like you
say--it is a little hard to believe it would justify the cost just on that.
However there would be other benefits to having it in hardware. For example
I'd love to see a server boot off one. 8)