Re: Network card problem

At 01:47 PM 11/4/01 -0500, Paul Deniston wrote:
RESEND of previous html message:

I'm trying to install via http w/ a cable modem.  My problem is that
I've installed base using floppies but my card (a d-link DFE-530TX+) is
not supported in the drivers disks.  My card did come w/ a disk w/ linux
drivers on it, but I have to compile them.  I can't compile until I get
the network up (so that I can get the right packages), but I can't get
the network up until I compile the driver.

Is there any way around this? Or, will some kind soul let me email them
the .c file and make file for the drivers and send me back the .o file?
If you'll compile for me, let me know and I'll send you the source.  I
didn't want to waste BW by forcing everyone to take the files.

Thanks

Paul.

Paul, you and I are going through the same exercise
right now.

I did find, on the floppy that came with this card
(D-Link DFE-530TX+) a Linux directory.  In that
directory is the C file rtl8139.c.  There's also a
README file that describes how to build and install
the driver.

As it turns out, the file rtl8139.o exists on my
debian/potato box, in at least one or two places.

As I understand it the next thing to do is install
the module using 'insmod'.  This is where I'm having
problems.

'insmod' complains with "Device or resource busy"
and suggests the problem may be an IO or IRQ conflict.

Probing the PCI bus ('lspci -v' command) shows that
an "unknown" ethernet board was found, at IRQ=11,
IO=e000, mem=xxx and so on.

Beyond this, I'm lost...  Hopefully someone can point
us down the right path.

If you need the .c or .o file, send me private email
and I'll send them as attachments.  But I think you'll
find at least the .c file on the floppy that came with
the D-Link network card, and you'll probably find the
corresponding .o file on your system somewhere already.

rafe b.