Re: some questions (after a HD crash)

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 03:21:34PM +0000, Darren Wyn Rees wrote:
> the guarantee.  What is the best way to WIPE data on the disk ?

   I actually had the same error while running Reiser-FS on my IBM  box. I,
apparently erroneously since you appear to be using ext2, attributed the error
to Reiser as numerous people have reported corruption errors with Reiser. I
noticed some have suggested that you simply delete your partitions and reinstall
which makes perfect sense and is what I originally attempted. To my
chagrin this didn't fix the problem as the next install almost
immediately had the exact same problem.

According to an IBM diagnostics utility, (I would love to offer the URL
for it but IBM's site is currently down) the error resulted from a
corrupt LBA block. The hard drive had to be wiped using their utility to
fix the problem and now everything is working alright.

Hope this helps,
Scott Wehrenberg