RE: Installing XFree86 Solved, On to Gnome

Thanks to Ken Meade I got X installed by running:
apt-get install x-window-system-core xserver-xfree86
and it worked fine.

Still working on Gnome and KDE.  I installed sawfish-gnome but still can't
get gnome to start and don't believe it is installed.  I tried the Debian
instructions on the Gnome faq but they used an outdated apt source and
pointed to the ximan version instead of regular Gnome.  If I wanted a
commercial wrapper around Linux I'd be using Red Hat.

So far the only instructions that look like they might work has been to just
install everything that mentions Gnome in the package list.  Doesn't seem
like the bright way to install something on a server.  There's got to be
some repository of knowledge around here that makes it a little less of a
crap shoot.

Many thanks to all that replied.  Even stuff that didn't work was an
education!

John Purser