Re: modconf not working, net module 3c59x can't be loaded. any help?

Hi Gianguido

> Hi,
>
> I have recently installed Linux for the 1st time...
> I have also managed to figure out that my ethernet card (3Com fast etherLink
> XL 10/100MB 3c905-TX) needs the following driver: 3c59x.o
>
> Hopefully I got this one right....
>
> I tried running modconf and adding that module. When i select it I am asked
> if I want to installit, I say "yes". Next message is
>
> "Please wait while modules are detected"
>
> then I am brought back to the net modules screen but 3c59x is not
> installed??
> (using insmod works but i am not sure it's the same thing)

so if insmod works fine it's ok  (you can check whether the module is loaded with 'lsmod')
if not you must specify io and irq : insmod 3c59x io=<your io> irq=<your irq>

> Am i supposed to do this stuff during the original Linux installation? I
> thought I could do it while the kernel was running....
>
> also,
>
> - how do I make sure that module is loaded everytime I reboot the machine?

put the line you have typed as command (above) but without 'insmod' into /etc/modules
and make sure you have in /etc/rcS.d  file as : @S<any number (probably 20)>modutils (e.g @S20modutils)
'@' means it is a symlink (to /etc/init.d/modutils ) if you haven't...reinstall modutils

bye