modconf not working, net module 3c59x can't be loaded. any help?

Hi,

I have recently installed Linux for the 1st time...
I have also managed to figure out that my ethernet card (3Com fast etherLink XL 10/100MB 3c905-TX) needs the following driver: 3c59x.o

Hopefully I got this one right....

I tried running modconf and adding that module. When i select it I am asked if I want to installit, I say "yes". Next message is

"Please wait while modules are detected"

then I am brought back to the net modules screen but 3c59x is not installed??
(using insmod works but i am not sure it's the same thing)

Am i supposed to do this stuff during the original Linux installation? I thought I could do it while the kernel was running....

also,

- how do I make sure that module is loaded everytime I reboot the machine?

- what is next in terms of seting up a connection to the outside world??

thanks a lot,

Gianguido Cianci