Re: Installing XFree86

> Hello,
>
> I've got a basic Debian Woody installation on a Pentium III 550 with 196
> megs of ram.  I'd like to install the X windowing system.  I've looked over
> the packages available with names like x-window-system and
> x-window-system-core, and xfree86-common and I have no idea where to start.
> None of it seems to match the documentation from www.xfree86.org and I
> haven't found Debian specific installation/configuration instructions.
>
> Would someone either post a summary of the steps involved or point me to a
> HOW-TO that shows how to install this the debian way?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Purser
>

> --

You should have these packages installed:
xfree86-common
xserver-common
xserver-xfree86
xfonts-base
xfonts-75dpi
xfonts-100dpi
xlibs
xlib6g
xterm

and some optional:
some window manager (afterstep,fvwm,....)
xviddetect
xutils

...and maybe some others i forgot but if you will use dselect all dependencies will be automativaly solved...

--
I am Martin Kacerovsky, student of the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics
at the Charles University in Prague, in the Czech Republic, in Europe,