X and WindowMaker - Debian Specific??

I have a couple of questions, some of which may relate specifically
to how Debian handles things...not reallt sure.

Which files do I add items to such as my xterm foregound,
background, font and such to.  I've tried adding to ~/.Xresources
but it does not seem to work.  Does rxvt use those settings by
default?

Also, I understand that Debian uses some special way of handling
menus, and I love the fact that when I install something I almost
always end up with it automatically in my WindowMaker menus, but I
would also like to do some of my own menus and still benefit from
the standard Debian menu.  What is the best way of pulling that off?

TIA,
jdk