Re: opening and saving files remotely

On Sat, 2001-11-03 at 07:03, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 01:00:10AM -0600, Rory O'Connor (midget@elaris.com) wrote:
> >
> > Homesite has a nifty feature called FTP/RDS that allows me to open, edit
> >
> > and save files on remote servers as if they were local.  I'm wondering
> > if linux would have a similar feature where I could open and edit files,
> >
> > say, in gnotepad (or other GTK text editor) and save them remotely in
> > the same fashion?
>
> Depends.
>
> vim 6 has edit-over-ftp.  Ditto emacs/xemacs.  It's not an uncommon
> feature these days.
>
> Samba gives the features your describing, and not just for editors..
>
> What's the underlying protocol for Homesite's feature?  I'd guess ftp
> from the name.

If you want a graphical editor that supports this out of the box (well,
not exactly out of the box - but it's a plugin module) you could try
JEdit - http://jedit.sourceforge.net

It's very powerful, flexible, extensible (and probably other good things
;c) but it's written in Java, so it's relatively_ 'heavy', and as far as
I know isn't packaged for Debian, although the Java installer works
fine. If you use multiple platforms it will, of course, run on anything
that has a decent Java VM.

--
Geoff Beaumont
Geoff@stormhammer.com