Re: emacs20 requires xlibs and xfree86-common?

Kurt Lieber wrote:

> I've always been a vim user, so I've never installed emacs on my machines.
> However, I have a need for it now and when I went to install it, discovered
> that it has all kinds of x-related dependencies (xfree86-common, xlibs,
> libxaw7)
>
> Does anyone know what the correlation is between text-based emacs and x?

AFAIK there is no text-only Debian package of Emacs. I'm sure one could
be built, but there probably hasn't been much demand for it, as the
X-enabled version can still run in a console if you want it to.

> (this is the emacs20 package from woody -- NOT xemacs21)   Is this something
> I can safely override (probably not) or work around and still use the debian
> package system?

On my X-less machines, I just let apt install all the libraries it wanted.
I don't know whether Emacs-in-a-console would work without them.

Craig