burning CD Images?

Using Windows 95 with a HP 9350i CD burner. I've been trying to burn a Debian CD and I'm having trouble, to understate the matter.

I downloaded
ftp://debian.uchicago.edu/debian-cd/stable/official/2.2_rev3/i386/binary-i386-1.iso
then downloaded md5sum.exe (from elsewhere) and checked the MD5 sum. It matches.

I looked up several sets of instructions on how to burn a IS09660 image using Nero. I burned it as Data Mode 1, NOT raw data, 2048 bytes block size, 0 image header and trailer, NOT scrambled, NOT swapped. I've tried Finalized, not Finalized, Disc-At-Once, not DAO, etc. I don't seem to have any luck.

Each time I burn the CD I get the same thing.  When I check the MD5 sum using:
md5sum --check md5sum.txt
It finds that numerous files fail. The majority of the files do pass, though. Upon closer investigation, many (or possibly all?) of the files that fail have sizes of 0 bytes, and there appears to be missing files, although I haven't checked too closely.

On the chance that Nero was to blame, I downloaded Golden Hawk Technology's CDRWIN and tried that with the same exact results.

I've never had any unexplainable trouble with Nero or my CD-burner, although I've never tried burning an ISO9660 image before, either... I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the CD is actually fine, and if those files would be readable under Linux...but I'd rather not risk destroying my computer if some of the files ARE corrupt. I have a CD-RW at my disposal, which I've been using for these tests since I made my first CD-R Debian coaster. I'll gladly burn day and night until I get this problem solved.

Any advice? Just ask and I'll give you any other relevant data you'd like. Thanks for your time.

-Arden Spiller
drane@x5ca.net