Re: [debian-user] install with 3 partitions

Yall,

----- Original Message -----
From: "dman" <dsh8290@rit.edu>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 4:24 PM
Subject: Re: [debian-user] install with 3 partitions

> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 01:13:24PM -0800, lloyder@canada.com wrote:
> | I guess my question degenerates to,
> | "Is there an 'out of box' way to install debian potato where you isolate
> | /, /boot, /etc, /bin, /sbin, /lib, /dev
> | on a partition without partitioning up every thing else?
>
> Yes, but you have to use symlinks as someone else suggested.

I am new to this.  I have a 1.2 GB on a blank HD.  I would like to make
this happen through the install program.  You or anyone able to provide
steps?  How do I make the installer let me set up the symlinks, etc.
I am guessing the 'cp' is not appropriate.

> | Possibly putting /tmp in its own partition as well, but then you might as
>
> Sure, but if you use kernel 2.4 and have memory available you could
> use a ramdisk for /tmp.  Then you wouldn't need any disk partition at
> all.

I have no idea what a ramdisk.  I guess you are suggesting that /tmp
can be keep all in memory (swap).

I do not follow the 2.4 ref either, is woody --
assuming 2.4 Linux kernel is the one for the Linux dist
-- ready for showtime?

*Lloyd climbs into flame retardent suit*  From
the Linux Kernel
interviews I have been reading the ship is not sailing so straight lately.
Do not get me wrong, it sounds like it is a result of a lot of awesome development,
suggesting a development kernel ;-)
I want a stable kernel that I can build a secure system around.
*Lloyd climbs climbs out of fire suit into leasure suit*

> | well isolation /proc for the same reasons too, no?
>
> No, /proc doesn't exist.  It is a figment of your imagination :-).
> More precisely, /proc is a virtual filesystem.  When you try and
> access it the kernel generates the data, on-demand.

Ah, /proc, that makes sense.  Isolating /var makes sense though ;-)

Best regards,
Lloyd