Re: Startup order (PCMCIA and init 2)

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 10:49:15AM -0500, Andre Berger wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I have a question about changing the startup order (init 2) of
> /etc/init.d/{dhcpcd,pcmcia,ntpdate}. The problem is, the dhcp client
> is executed before the PCMCIA stuff loads. So there is no network
> connection when ntpdate tries to synchronize the clock. I have to log
> in as root and restart dhcpcd manually, then run ntpdate.
>
> What I need is the PCMCIA stuff already started up, this being done,
> the DHCP client started up, this being done (it takes a few seconds),
> ntpdate. How would I proceed, just rename the links in /etc/rc2.d/?
> What could happen when I dist-upgrade the system some day?

PCMCIA card service is started as deamon on the backgroung.  Thus the
script run after PCMCIA script and PCMCIA script itsself run
concurrently.

If you have some initialization script which you need to run after
bringing up PCMCIA NIC, there are 2 ways.

1) Run those scripts from PCMCIA network script. (Right way)
 /etc/pcmcia/network.opts needs to define shell functions:

 start_fn() {.....}
 stop_fn {.....}

2) Run them after PCMCIA, optionally put some "sleep" to avoid race
condition.

You are taking 2nd option.  Depending on actual set up you may encounter
race condition but your delayed start approach should stay as is most
likely.  Even if it breaks, you can move it again.

Cheers :o)

--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +