quake2 under unstable

Hi

I am on a dell csx with neomagic videocard, 500mhz PIII processor and 256M
of ram running unstable.

I have q2 running perfect on my desktop thats runnin unstable too.
Difference is that laptop is being updated everyday, but desktop every 3
months or so.
It's been runnin under other distros as well.(only on desktop; laptop I
dunno)

Problem is that I can't connect to all the games hosted by others while
onlap. But if I create my own game al works well. here is a typical error
message
while connecting to a q2 server while on laptop.

Added packfile ./baseq2/pak0.pak (3307 files)
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak1.pak (279 files)
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak2.pak (2 files)
execing default.cfg
execing config.cfg
Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
Sorry but your soundcard can't do this
[svgalib: allocated virtual console #4]

then it segfaults like a whore...

Any ideas?
Am I the only one having this problem? If it's necessary, I can supply a
diff between pkglist on my laptop and my desktop...

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was not the place to ask