Can't mount audio CD - help

I'm having trouble mounting audio CDs. I can mount data CDs fine
however.

I'm using the scsi driver for my CD drive since its a CD-RW, and need to
burn CD's as well. I pass the kernel (2.4.12 - the debian one) the
parameter hdc=ide-scsi through lilo. Then I load these modules at
startup through /etc/modules:
ide-scsi and sg.

when I try to mount the drive with a audio disc as root I get this:
/# mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
       or too many mounted file systems

this uses my /etc/fstab file with the relevent line:
/dev/scd0       /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto         0       0

I can try to load it without using the fstab file like this:
h0001022c16f6:/home/hartford# mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
       or too many mounted file systems

But get the same error.

When I load a data CD I get this:
h0001022c16f6:/home/hartford# mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

And it works.

This problem started when started using the ide-scsi and sg kernel
modules so I could burn CDs.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
Andy

PS. heres some more random info from /proc/ide/hdc

h0001022c16f6:/proc/ide/hdc# cat settings
name                    value           min             max             mode
----                    -----           ---             ---             ----
bios_cyl                0               0               1023            rw
bios_head               0               0               255             rw
bios_sect               0               0               63              rw
current_speed           0               0               69              rw
ide_scsi                0               0               1               rw
init_speed              0               0               69              rw
io_32bit                0               0               3               rw
keepsettings            0               0               1               rw
log                     0               0               1               rw
nice1                   1               0               1               rw
number                  2               0               3               rw
pio_mode                write-only      0               255             w
slow                    0               0               1               rw
transform               1               0               3               rw
unmaskirq               0               0               1               rw
using_dma               0               0               1               rw
h0001022c16f6:/proc/ide/hdc#
h0001022c16f6:/proc/ide/hdc# cat driver
ide-scsi version 0.9
h0001022c16f6:/proc/ide/hdc# cat media