Re: ooops.. I think I messed something up...

on Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 11:30:03PM +0100, Rune Elvemo (relvemo@grm.hia.no) wrote:
> I think it was like 14 days back in time, I had this thought that I
> should give Debian/Woody (also known as testing) a go.
>
> So I added the right stuff to my sources.list, did a "apt-get update",
> then a "apt-get upgrade".
>
> I HAD seen before there was a "dist-upgrade" paramam as well. But with
> my bad memory I never passed that param. I was also reminded from
> someone else today that you HAD to use "dist-upgrade" to shift between
> debian versions.

It helps to a certain extent.  You'll add/remove packages with
dist-upgrade, see the man pages for more information.  It's a bit more
automatic, but generally a bit more helpful.

> So I was kinda wondering, is there some way to kinda fix my mistake?
>
> And I guess that doing a "dist-upgrade" right now would be too late...

Nope.  Just go ahead and do it.  Chances are there won't be a huge
difference.  If you want to see what's going to happen first:

    $ apt-get dist-upgrade -s

...the '-s' says "simulate", apt-get tells you what it would do, but
doesn't actually do it.

> ...considering the fact that I didn't upgrade to woody in the correct
> way, would further upgrading to sid aka unstable work out right, using
> "dist-upgrade" ???

Same deal.  I find Sid is actually somewhat more usable more of the time
than Testing is, due to the rather twisted fact that Testing gets stuck
if a bad package rolls onto it -- there's no rollback provision (yet).
OTOH, that's not happening too frequently these days.

Peace.